Welcome at FreeTime Toys

Hello everybody and welcome here. This blog will be dedicated to the few toys projects I will do during my free time. You can expect some toys rehab, some design adaptation and some brand new design.

If you are here you probably know my taste for Jumbo Machinder, so most of my projects are related to those big guys. Hope you will enjoy it.

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Happy New Spear

First  I would like to wish a Happy New Year to everybody reading my little blog.
Wish you all the best for this year, good health for you and your family and good moments with the people you care about.

To start this year, here's the 3D print of the Spartan spear I've just receive today. This was started a long time ago, before I even had a Spartan as I was sure that if I find one it will miss the spear as usual with this villain. And it's the case so I've finalize the model and launch the print.

I wanted to test the Prime Gray from i.materialise for a long time now and this was a good opportunity. It's a bit cheaper than what I use for my big replicas but it's actually the same technique and since I paint all my stuff, it's interesting because it's the same resolution, same material, just the color that is gray and it's cheaper. Good deal I guess.

So here's the image of this spear, raw from the printer and ready to be sanded. I'm not going to paint that one this time but I'm going to use it to make a mold and cast it in brown resin and hollow, so it's going to be closer to the original this way.


What's interesting also with this material is that it's easier to see the print layer. The white resin I've use until now is a bit translucent, and then it's really hard to see the print layers when you are sanding it an after it's sanded. You really have to turn the object in the light to see the remaining print layers. Here it's way more easy to spot and then more easy to clean and sand.

No comments:

Post a Comment