Welcome at FreeTime Toys

Hello everybody and welcome here. This blog will be dedicated to the few toys projects I will do during my free time. You can expect some toys rehab, some design adaptation and some brand new design.

If you are here you probably know my taste for Jumbo Machinder, so most of my projects are related to those big guys. Hope you will enjoy it.

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Change of plan

After lots and lots of thinking about the mold for the shield, I've decide to go with a wiser solution.

I wanted to save a bit some money on the mold by using the front mold I did from the original shield, and create the bottom part for it. But it was really not safe as I had to remove the shield at some point and put in back in the mold before creating the second part. I've try to put the shield back but there was some tiny gaps and the new silicone might have flow between the first mold and the shield, with a lot of chances to ruin the first mold.

The wiser choice was to prepare a super clean "master piece" with the shield. To do that, I've cast the front part in my first mold, rotating it so that the front part is hollow. I've then create a circle part to put higher in the shield and cover the remaining part with resin so that that master is hollow to save some resin. I've fine tune the back surface and glue the little connection piece that I've 3D print.

Then I've cast a new mold in two piece from that "master shield". Here's the picture of the mold, ready for casting. Can't wait to be tomorrow to test it and see how it goes. Might have to cast a few before getting one perfect but I've learn a lot about the new resin I'm using whil casting the spears.


Hope to be able to show you the final restoration soon. I still have to finalize a new launcher for my Spartan but it's really not my priority for the moment as he's got the front half of the original one and it displays really well like that. Beside, if I want to display it with the spear in the launcher in my display case, it's almost impossible as it's super deep because of the lenght of the spear and the trigger mechanism. But I guess that I will do it in the weeks to come just to have it complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment