Welcome at FreeTime Toys

Hello everybody and welcome here. This blog will be dedicated to the few toys projects I will do during my free time. You can expect some toys rehab, some design adaptation and some brand new design.

If you are here you probably know my taste for Jumbo Machinder, so most of my projects are related to those big guys. Hope you will enjoy it.

Monday, March 5, 2012

Split and details

Today we have a little "behind the scene" post.

I've disconnect all the parts of the Garada to bring him home to start the post process job on him. I've take some pictures to show all the separate parts. It's actually exactly like on one of the 3D render you can find in a previous post but now it's for real. What I'm really happy is that, except the little plug at the back of the head, everything is connecting properly and stand firmly.
Since all this is prepared virtually and you don't really have real constraints in 3D, it's always a surprise when you launch your print. On previous smaller prints I had to sand a lot some parts and adjust them to make them fit inside each other, but not here.



And this last one is the little "attention to detail" picture, as you can see I've push the detail to have the writings under the feet like on the original. The little holes next to that are for a technical purpose. The 3D print technique used to do it is with a bath of epoxy liquid that cure under UV lasers, so the liquid needs to be able to escape and those holes are there for that.
It's funny because I was showing this picture to a friend today and he pointed the fact that it looks like the little holes under the SW figures, maybe I will leave them like that.


 Those writings were a total nightmare to model, and the first modeling version was not really clean, I've try to take some shortcut and was hoping that the printing software will be ok with that but it was far from ok and I had to spend a few nights to optimize all that. Anyway, it's a nice detail to get.

No comments:

Post a Comment