Welcome at FreeTime Toys

Hello everybody and welcome here. This blog will be dedicated to the few toys projects I will do during my free time. You can expect some toys rehab, some design adaptation and some brand new design.

If you are here you probably know my taste for Jumbo Machinder, so most of my projects are related to those big guys. Hope you will enjoy it.

Friday, August 24, 2012

Green Ghost C3 ready for battle

Ok ok, so here's a more serious post with the Green Ghost finished. The paint is exactly like I was imaging it. It's honnestly really hard to find the right colors for that guy. I've collect a huge amount of pictures from the original toy and every single specimen is different. Some look blue, some look green, some super green, but strangely the yellow looks consistant almost all the time.

So it's a bit a mix between all those and I've try to find the right balance. The guy who painted it did an amazing job as he was also able to get the subtle light metalic layer on the arms and legs. It seems that on the original, the arms and legs were cast in blue, then sprayed on the hand, feet and articulations with some darker blue, and there was a super soft metalic grey sprayed on them. It's something I didn't manage to do on my Rokuron as I've paint it myself and with spray can, so hard to do that kind of effect. But here the effect looks great.



The gold looks a bit too soft but it's more orange in real. One big change also compare to the Garada, is the varnish used now. For Garada it was supposed to be a semi gloss varnish but it ended up beeing really gloss, so there's a lot of high reflections in it.
I've decide to try another varnish as I've test some stuff for the leg of the Jaguar and it was a good choice. Last one needed also 48 hours to fully cure, and this one only an hour and the result is what I was looking for.



He is now ready to join the whole team and I'm ready to take some rest now as I've been working on both my work and my hobby like a mad man. But before that I will have to build him a little box. 

Edit of 27/10/2012:

I found some picts I did in day light and was thinking that it can be interesting to share as they picture the Green Ghost how it actually looks, and not like on those pictures done with poor light conditions and touch up to raise the levels.
So here they are.



 
Much much better colors, and I'm crazy about that orange and blue look, just perfect.

3 comments:

  1. Hello Mike,

    I am new to the Shogun Warriors/ mazinger Z toys. I have been researching all about them these past few days. I found your blog and have been trying to read each post. Your toys are awesome! What are your toys made of?
    Would it be possible for you to do a post the the production/manufacturing process?

    -Mike
    Long Beach, CA USA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just to let you know that I've reply but with another comment, wrong button, sorry.

      Delete
  2. Hello Mike,
    Thanks a lot for your kind word.
    My big replicas or replacement parts are made in some kind of epoxy resin that cure under UV lazers.
    The process is actually easy: First I do the 3D modeling, then it's exported to a company who does the 3D prints, they use a machine with an epoxy liquid inside it, lazers are tracing on the surface and it cure the resin, the level of the ground go down step by step, layer by layer.
    After that I clean and sand each part to have them perfectly smooth and then comes the painting.
    It's kind of time consuming and expensive but the result is super clean, of course it's still cheaper than trying to buy the original ones.

    ReplyDelete